Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Required Reading

For Summer School, I must read the following:

The Red Badge of Courage
The Gift of the Magi
The Last Class: The Story of Little Alastian
I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud
My Mistress' Eyes Are Nothing Like the Sun
The Most Dangerous Game
The Lottery Ticket
The Cask of Amontillado

With the exception of "The Last Class" and "The Lottery Ticket," I've read all of these at some point. I wish "The Lottery Ticket" was really Jackson's "The Lottery," because everyone likes that story.

The Red Badge of Courage is going to be a painful read, but most kids like "The Gift of the Magi." The only issue is that they read that in 8th grade, so why read it for summer school in 9th? However, I'm going to also bring in Zwerger's lovely picture book of the story.

I taught Wordsworth's "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" to my 7th graders, so I've got that covered, too.

Poe's "The Cask of Amontillado" is a challenging read, but fun, and I'm going to get the graphic novel version to show them after the reading. Also, I wonder if The Simpsons have a version. I bet they do for "The Most Dangerous Game."

No comments: