Friday, July 9, 2010

Three Cups of Tea - Young Adult Version

Three Cups of Tea

The recounting of an American's work to start schools for children in Pakistan.

I read the Young Adult version, and I have no idea how one would get through the adult version. The content, the ideas and the actions, are awesome. It's inspiring... But boring. I read this because our incoming 6th grade students have to read it for Summer Reading. The YA version of Three Cups of Tea for an adult? I would give it a B. For an 11 year old? I would give it a C-. I just don't think most sixth graders have the reading level to handle so many foreign names, nor do I think they have the ability to sustain their interest through the less exciting parts.

Having read this, I can say that I hope for the following for my school:
  • We start some type of collection to help Greg Mortenson's Central Asia Institute. Otherwise, what is the point of reading a book about how we can change the world with just a few pennies?
  • They show some type of documentary/video version of this book to the sixth graders. I think it will fill out their understanding of the book. Also, everyone likes videos.

Grade: C

No comments: