Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Bird Box

Bird Box by Josh Malerman


Keep your eyes closed.

Imagine an apocalyptic event and your only defense is keeping your eyes closed. The danger in this story is unknown, for anyone who lays eyes on it dies.

After several years of living blind and afraid, Malorie decides she will leave the only home her children have known in a blind search for a safe haven she once heard about, twenty miles down a nearby river. The trip down the river alternates with recollections about Malorie's previous life before the Boy and the Girl were born. Through these flashbacks, you also learn of the journey that Malorie has taken to push her such a crazy task of rowing, blindfolded, with two young children.

This entire book felt like one held breath.

Okay, this is not a YA novel; however, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be read by a young adult. There's no sexual content and the violence is relatively minimal (considering the story line). In fact, I have to wonder if the Netflix movie version is more risque than the book. (I also have to decide whether or not I want to see the Netflix movie, too.)

 As soon as the book was over, I desperately hoped for a sequel. But then I quickly thought to myself, no. No sequel. I think as a stand alone book this is perfect. It keeps you thinking as a stand alone book. Any sequel would provide too much exposition, and ruin the suspense and wonder of this story.

Grade: B+/A- (still thinking about it)

No comments: