Sunday, July 27, 2008

Contagion

11. Contagion by Robin Cook. Another medical mystery thriller. Overall a very good book, although I would have enjoyed more background info on viruses and such. (I love that stuff.) It focuses on a NYC coroner/ME who is suspicious of the mounting cases due to rare, deadly viruses.

At times this novel seemed a bit long-winded. One of the characters, Therese, seemed too flat and uninteresting. Unfortunately, she becomes a key player at the end. I wish she had been given fuller characterization prior the the climactic ending. The story does weave an interesting subplot about NY gangs, which offers a human interest piece detour from the main storyline.
_______________________________________


I'm going to try to take a break from fiction reading this week with the exception of A Christmas Carol. I only have a few days to read it if I am to meet my goal having a Christmas in July experience.

No comments: