Saturday, April 11, 2009

Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi

Amulet - A graphic novel
Written and illustrated by Kazu Kibuishi
Published by Scholastic Graphix (same people who put out Bone)























Yesterday I bought this graphic novel and I can only say that I wish that I had bought it when I first saw it months ago.

Emily and Navin are two children who must move to an old family home after their father dies. The house used to belong to their great-grandfather, Silas Charnon, a puzzle-maker. It is full of oddities, and Emily stumbles upon an amulet in her grandfather's workroom. At night, the mother goes downstairs into the basement to explore scary sounds in the night. She is eaten by a monster but is still alive inside its body. Emily and Navin follow the monster down into another world called Alledia. While seaching, they find the house of Silas Charnon, who is alive but on his deathbed. He has been waiting all this time for Emily to accept the power of the amulet - the power to rule over Alledia. In hopes of finding her mother, and perhaps regaining what she misses most, Emily accepts this responsibility, and with the help of Navin and a group of charming robots, they set off to get their mother back.

The graphics are awesome, and all I can say is that this book is top-notch! Amulet ends as a bit of a cliff-hanger, but the second one is in production.

I truly cannot wait to 1) share this book with my classes and 2) read the second one!

Grade: A+

The picture above is one that I designed myelf, using Scholastic's Amulet site. Getting it from that site to this site with text boxes required some screen capturing, Word, and some more screen captures.

No comments: