Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Real Housewives - Ruined

I have a guilty pleasure. Mind-numbingly shallow and stupifying reality TV. We got cable (from low basic to high basic) this January. Since that time, I have immersed myself in the world of the Duggars and the housewives. (What can I say? I love the extremes of family life.) I really enjoy The Real Housewives of New York - probably because I love their accent. These ladies are a tad classier and often more employed than The Real Housewives of Orange County. And the Texas version? Pish. My East Coast sensibility won't allow me to stoop to that one.

But tonight?!? Tonight debuted The Real Housewives of New Jersey.

Ugh. I may not be able support any of this franchise due to the new show.

These NJ housewives are horrible. Italian American*. Adopted (but maybe not) mafia attitude. When I watch a show about fabulously rich housewives, I want to frown and pass judgement on their petty concerns and their overconsumption... while still secretly coveting their thin bodies, class, and clothing.

But the NJ version? These housewives look like they just stepped off the Seaside boardwalk two decades ago. Thanks, The Real Housewives of New Jersey. Thanks for reinforcing the NJ girl image of big hair, bad accent, and insipidness. And just when I thought the stereotype was lessening.

Signing off,
A Jersey Girl in a New England World

*In regards to Italian Americans. I love 'em. I was raised by them. My wonderful brother and sister are of this ilk. But just because you're an Italian American with New York origins doesn't mean you have to always be pumped up, bedazzled, and loud. ... Does it? There are many Italian Americans who take just as much pride in demure grace and quiet reflection.

Also, there are girls in NJ who aren't Italian. In fact, NJ is quite diverse.

No comments: