Saturday, August 30, 2008

The End Is Now the Beginning

This is my last book of the summer; finished the morning right before leaving for a Teacher Inservice.

Brian's Winter (YA) by Gary Paulson. This is a companion piece to Paulson's Hatchet, a story about a young boy who is stranded in the Canadian wilderness for a summer. Brian's Winter is the story of what would have happened to Brian had he not been rescued.

Of course, this book is a bit fanciful. Things tend to go off pretty well for Brian. At the same time, Paulson does great things with the descriptive narratives of the wilderness. A few chapters into the book, I was yearning for my first winter snow (and snow day). I love taking hikes in the snow, and by hikes, I really mean long walks.

At times, the book was too predictable. For example, the moment the skunk appeared, it becomes apparent that Brian and the skunk will form some sort of symbiotic relationship of food and defense.

Regardless, this book achieves an A/B+ for being a solid accompaniment to Hatchet (and for getting me totally enthused about winter).

Next Up: David Sedaris's newest book

No comments: