Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

I really do hate saying that I enjoyed the movie better than the book, but in this case, I must.

This is not to say that the story isn't good. It is. I love the narration, which really lends itself (in my opinion) to being read aloud. Or at least, the omniscient narrator feels akin to a person reading the story - an old grandpa like the grandpa in The Princess Bride.

I felt that the character development of the four Pevensies was rather shallow in the book. Edmund gets a bit more character development in the book than in the movie, but is perhaps less likable in the text. I feel that Lucy is well-written, but Peter and Susan are not given much description or action to shape them into well-rounded characters. However, in the movie I grew truly attached to them.

And Mr. and Mrs. Beaver? Equally great in the book and in the movie! I wouldn't mind a book dedicated just to them.

I do believe there is an interesting difference between the two versions: the stance on women in battle. In the book, Father Christmas gives Susan her bow and arrow, but he tells her that "You must use the bow only in great need... for I do not mean for you to fight in battle." In the movie, there is no mention of Susan refraining from fighting. When Lucy receives her gift of the small knife, Father Christmas tells her, "the dagger is to defend yourself in great need. For you are also not meant to be in battle... Battles are ugly when women fight." Of course, Father Christmas makes no mention of females in combat in the movie.

I can't recall if Susan ever does fight in the Narnia movie. I know that she does in the Prince Caspian, but I can't recall for the first.

Grade: A

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thank you for linking to my Blog Widget at the bottom of your Blog.

Mel said...

No problem. I really enjoy your reviews.