Monday, January 19, 2009

My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

I finished this book over a week ago. But I am so overwhelmed by it that I have been hesitant to write anything about it. I'm still ruminating over it. The storyline. The ethics. The narration style.

In short, this is a story about a family that must make a decision that can never possibly lead to a happy ending. Anna, a young girl, was genetically conceived to be a match to her older sister, Kate, who has leukemia. As time has progressed, more has been asked medically of Anna. Now, she is being asked to give her kidney.

Anna is coming to terms with where her life ends and her sister's life begins. Without Anna, Kate cannot be. And Anna has decided that she needs control of her own life and body.

Where does familial obligation end and personal autonomy begin? What right does a person have to deny their sister life? And what if your life was created with the singular purpose of providing a solution to death?

My Sister's Keeper is told from a multitude of perspectives. From the mother who struggles with a sick daughter and the turmoil of asking her other daughter to endure pain. From the father who decides to side with Anna. There are chapters from the brother's perspective and also from the lawyer's and child advocate's perspectives. All of the multiple view points give the reader a more comprehensive view of just how difficult these decisions are ethically and morally.

I've included this link, which does a much better job reviewing this book.

Side Note: I am adding this book to my subgenre of books about genetic transplants, which include The House of Scorpions and Never Let Me Go.

Grade: A+

No comments: